Monday, August 25, 2008

The Shack

an email I sent to a friend, I'd love opinions on it!


Well, I haven't read the book, so I should probably hold any opinion until I do... :) But I'd heard a negative critique of it by a man whose doctrine and heart I respect. Mark Driscoll is the pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, a rapidly growing church in the midst of the least churched city in America. He's criticized for a lot of things but I've listened to his podcasts for awhile, with an attentive ear, and appreciate his authenticity, and most of what he says. Here's a link to his opinion-

http://www.reformergent.org/2008/05/01/driscoll-critiquing-the-shack/

Also, some text claiming the book is unbiblical-

http://www.carm.org/features/theshack.htm

Now, I guess those are opinions that give me cause for suspicion but I remain curious without making a judgement! :) One thing I can say, I have a lot of respect for CS Lewis, who never claimed to be a theologian of any kind, and I have gained a LOT from his books. In his time, and since, plenty of people have found theological issues with his work, and yet his writing has obviously stood the test of time and had positive impact on people toward the end of God's glory. That is maybe a case where doctrinal purists (who I think are neccesary) get up in arms for no good reason.

I'm not sure if the Shack falls in with the likes of CS Lewis or the likes of Oprah but I think it's probably not The Pilgrim's Progress for our time, as I've heard it marketed... From a superficial perspective, it does seem to want to unite many people under one quasi-Christian banner, which is usually a guise for Universalism. Also, the controversial relating of God the Father as a black woman, and the Holy Spirit as an Asian woman seems more targeted/marketed to uniquely white/American guilt over an ugly racial/gender history than the universal application that most books of any sustaining quality have. That is, "good" books that are allegorical, usually, I think, can be retold and universally related to, whereas this has appeal (and commercial value!) to a mostly American audience."

No comments: